Council Regulations for Cafe Barriers & Umbrellas in Brisbane & on the Gold Coast
Awnet custom-designs cutting-edge products that facilitate aesthetically appealing and ergonomic outdoor dining areas. An ideal alternative to awnings and verandas, our cafe barriers and market umbrellas will adequately protect patrons from the sun, wind and rain.
Below, is an outline of the Brisbane City Council’s general requirements for footpath dining areas. However, different councils have varying regulations in regard to cafe umbrellas and breeze barriers. The information listed below should only be used as a guide. Please contact your local council for the specific policies enforced in your area.
- Cafe umbrellas need to have a minimum setback of 600mm from the kerb and be 500mm clear of existing tree trunks and branches.
• The minimum height from the footpath to the underside of an umbrella must be 2.1 metres.
• All structures must be of a suitable design, to ensure they do not endanger patrons, pedestrians and cyclists at any stage.
• Market umbrellas must not overhang the area between the dining area and the kerbside.
Cafe and Breeze Barriers higher than 900mm, so as not to obstruct vehicle line of sight
Not to be permanently fixed to the footpath and are removed outside of business trading hours
• Secure enough to resist movement in windy conditions
• Positioned within the permitted footpath dining area.
• Setback no less than 600mm from and parallel to the kerb.
Aboards and similar items need to be sturdy and located within the footpath dining area. Not obstructing the footpath.
Removable Cafe Umbrella Items
The Gold Coast's warmer climate lends itself to alfresco dining areas. This has led to many cafes and restaurants placing large market umbrellas and outdoor furniture on footpaths, on a semi-permanent basis. Under the Transport Operations Act and Local Law No. 11, the Gold Coast Council is required to regulate the installation of outdoor fixtures that are not removed on a daily basis.
• Prevent obstruction, inconvenience, annoyance, nuisance, damage to property and interference with the safe movement of traffic
• Ensure commercial activities on roads do not have an unfair advantage over fixed premises that pay rates and other charges and are subject to planning and other regulatory legislation.
Contact Us Now
Our cafe barriers and market umbrellas are an ideal solution for establishments in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast. Call us on 1800 417 888 to find out more about our range.